phone email linkedin


Have a question?

Get in Touch

Take a look below at some of the frequently asked questions.


Can anyone instruct a Barrister on direct access basis?

When you need a barrister to do work for you, there are two ways that you can instruct them: If you have a solicitor who is also working on your legal problem, they will instruct a barrister for you. If you do not have a solicitor working for you, you can go directly to a barrister yourself if they are a “Public Access” barrister. “Public Access” is the term used to describe members of the public going directly to a barrister, rather than through a solicitor. Not all barristers are allowed to deal with members of the public directly as they have to complete special training first.

How much does it cost and how can I pay?

How much a barrister will cost will depend on a number of issues including their year of call (how experienced they are), what type of case/hearing you want to instruct them on and how complex the matter is. Our clerks will liaise with you and the barrister and will inform you of their fee/s for work you wish to instruct them on. We can accept payment either by BACS or we also accept payment by Credit or Debit card. You can find more information on our Fees page here.

Do I have to pay up front for everything?

Yes. All fees must be paid before the barrister will commence work.

Can I instruct a barrister if I have Legal Aid funding?

No. Barristers are not able to accept instructions on Legal Aid via the Public Access scheme.

Can I choose which barrister I instruct?

You can request any direct access barrister when first contacting us. Dependant on them being available on the date/dates required and agreeing to accept your instructions then we can add your case to their diary. If your chosen barrister is not available then we will offer you alternative barristers.

Can a barrister respond to letters on my behalf?

If you are using a Public Access barrister you may need to do some things yourself, including conducting litigation. “Conducting litigation” includes filing documents at court and serving documents on others. "Serving documents" on another person means a formal handing over of those documents to them.

How do I instruct a barrister from Regency Chambers?

Please either call us on 01733 315 215 or email us at

message-icon Ask a Question
website uptime string